11 mistakes children make when brushing their teeth
February 10th, 2023
Not brushing for long enough: Children may not brush for the recommended two minutes, which can leave plaque and bacteria behind.
- Not using enough toothpaste: Using too little toothpaste can decrease the effectiveness of brushing.
- Not using a fluoride toothpaste: Fluoride helps to strengthen the teeth and prevent tooth decay, so it is important to use a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Not brushing in circular motions: Brushing in circular motions helps to remove plaque and bacteria from the teeth and gums more effectively.
- Not brushing the tongue: The tongue can harbor bacteria that can contribute to bad breath and tooth decay, so it is important to brush the tongue as well.
- Not replacing the toothbrush regularly: Toothbrushes should be replaced every three to four months, or sooner if the bristles become frayed.
- Brushing too hard: Brushing too hard can damage the gums and tooth enamel.
- Not flossing: Flossing helps to remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth, which brushing alone cannot do.
- Not rinsing the mouth after brushing: Rinsing the mouth after brushing helps to remove any remaining plaque and bacteria.
- Not brushing before bed: It is important to brush before bed to remove plaque and bacteria that have accumulated during the day.
- Not brushing after eating sugary or acidic foods: Brushing after eating sugary or acidic foods can help to neutralize the acid and remove any stuck food particles.
- Not brushing in the morning: Brushing in the morning helps to remove any bacteria and plaque that may have formed overnight.
It is important for children to brush and floss regularly to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent tooth decay and gum disease. It is also important for children to brush and floss correctly in order to get the most benefit from their oral hygiene routine.
Looking for the best kids dentist near the Paterson, Passaic, and Union City areas?
We are here serving Paterson, Passaic, and Hudson NJ, and the surrounding communities, we offer comprehensive oral health services ranging from routine cleanings to emergency treatment. We are committed to creating a warm, welcoming environment to keep all members of the family comfortable in the office.
Passaic ( 973) 574-1000
Union City(201) 325-8444
Dover (973) 891-4015
Find reviews and updates on Facebook, learn more about our practice online, or give us a call.